1998-09-10 - Re: Computer hard disc scanning by HM Customs & Excise

Header Data

From: Michael Motyka <mmotyka@lsil.com>
To: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
Message Hash: cdcd73fcd643fa2d87834601f1cdae0f949f0a558558d1983e26c491f438fc02
Message ID: <35F80407.5303@lsil.com>
Reply To: <3.0.5.32.19980909143613.00c51da0@idiom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-10 03:51:25 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:51:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Michael Motyka <mmotyka@lsil.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:51:25 +0800
To: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: Computer hard disc scanning by HM Customs & Excise

Bill Stewart wrote:

> >> If the customs people have any clue, the first thing they do
> >> is hit DEL at the appropriate BIOS prompt
> >I think you give them WAY too much credit, not to mention many systems
> >give no such prompt. But highly suspect if anything they will check the
> >BIOS *after* first not being able to boot to floppy successfully.
>
> Any tax-collector who's illiterate enough to ask "Do you have Internet
> on your computer" is probably not going to know what's happening,
> especially given the disparity of system boot behaviour.
>
> Some things may get their attention, like the sound card yelling
>         "Begin destruct sequence!  10, 9, 8, 7....."
> or, more politely,
>         "Stop, thief!  Help, someone is stealing this computer!"
> or      "Virus detected.  Please remove the infected diskette
>         and contact corporate security for further instructions"
> but your basic subtleties like a Linux boot screen and
> copying the diskette to backup and then wiping it are
> beyond the typical border guard's technical training, and
> don't smell interesting enough to get his dog's attention
> (unless there's a good high-pitched tone as well.)
>
> I may post a more thoughtful article about the offensiveness of this
> practice or the technical cluelessness, but for now I'll just
> rant about the sheer folly of allowing anybody to touch your computer
> whose primary training is in Shouting and looking for people who
> match profiles, like Irish accents or obvious wealth or obvious poverty.

The practice is as offensive as the KGB-like DWI roadblocks but don't be
so hasty to assume the long-term incompetence of the federales in any
country. If the interest in scanning PC's persists, or *dammit*
increases, there will be increased funding and somebody who is
technically capable will provide more sophisticated analysis tools.
Period. Better get used to it. I doubt the issue will just go away.
Design your CM accordingly.

Mike

Thread