1998-09-13 - Re: Revenge of the AOLHoles

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: d297320709b3ca339b493696b5c414f8ca5938086dc8ecdc9549accbed7cccef
Message ID: <199809132311.BAA03065@replay.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 18:12:25 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 18:12:25 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Revenge of the AOLHoles

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Ryan Anderson wrote:

> > The problem is that most of the AOL users who publish to the net seem to
> > be morons. They use some annoying Russo-Germanic quoting style, they can't
> > use English, they're clueless, they post off-topic, or something else.
>
> In all fairness, many of the users on AOL *know* that the AOL quoting
> style is utterly horrible.  Unofrtunatley, they don't have much choice in
> what they use.

Sure they do. They can use a different mail reader. (After all, 32-bit AOL
allows AOL users to use all the TCP/IP protocols...) They can cut and
paste manually, or, probably best, they can go to another ISP.

I understand what you're saying, Ryan, and I understand what they're
saying, but there all alternatives out there; they just don't want to use
them. In fact, they've installed proprietary packages that do this. There
are plenty of free alternatives out there which don't have this problem.

If my ISP pushed a bunch of proprietary software down my throat, I'd find
another ISP. That goes double if the proprietary software sucks. That goes
triple if the software sucks and the ISP is trying to get every idiot they
can to use it. (I got a "100 hours free network abuse" disk in the mail
recently from AOL.)

Another AnonMonger

Thread