1998-09-30 - Re: propose: `cypherpunks license’ (Re: Wanted: Twofish source code)

Header Data

From: Michael Hohensee <mah248@is9.nyu.edu>
To: Derek Atkins <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: d2c6e30e32ec5189bb13333804e9e937a45f929e51ae63275a35a323a7a9df6c
Message ID: <3612A767.94F23B58@is9.nyu.edu>
Reply To: <199809281845.TAA18662@server.eternity.org>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-30 08:45:52 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:45:52 +0800

Raw message

From: Michael Hohensee <mah248@is9.nyu.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:45:52 +0800
To: Derek Atkins <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: propose: `cypherpunks license' (Re: Wanted: Twofish source code)

Ahh, but it's not *you* who's putting the restrictions on your software,
but the U.S. government.  As far as I know (not that I'm a lawyer, or
anything) the U.S. govt. doesn't care what your license says --if it's
strong crypto, it's not supposed to be exported.

The license is probably irrelevant, as far as import/export is
concerned.

Derek Atkins wrote:

> The big issue I see with GPL and Crypto software is that with the GPL
> you cannot add any redistribution restrictions.  The problem is that
> due to the United States export rules, I cannot export Crypto
> software, which means I must legally put a restriction on any Crypto
> code I write.  But, this is a "further restriction" as far as the
> GPL is concerned.  This, in turn, means I cannot use the GPL for
> Crypto software.
>
> -derek
> --
>        warlord@MIT.EDU                        PGP key available