1998-09-11 - Clinton’s fake apologies

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: dc5b9c56e0ec44329c195d9f60a9602896f5fabeb4ee654fd0b4702252892a68
Message ID: <199809111600.SAA12943@replay.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:59:57 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 10:59:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Clinton's fake apologies

The annoying thing about Clinton's recent behavior is that he never
comes right out and apologizes, but the press always says he does.

Case in point:

> WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Saying ``I have sinned,'' a tearful President
> Clinton made an impassioned plea Friday for forgiveness from Monica
> Lewinsky and others and vowed to fight hard to keep his job.

But what did he say?

> ``I don't think there is a fancy way to say that I have sinned,''
> Clinton said, hours before independent counsel Kenneth Starr's report
> to Congress on his eight-month investigation into the Lewinsky scandal
> was to be made public.

He didn't say that he had sinned, he said that there wasn't a fancy way
to say that he had sinned.  He never came right out and said, "I have
sinned".

Another example:

> ``It is important to me that everybody who has been hurt know that the
> sorrow I feel is genuine -- first and most important my family, also my
> friends, my staff, my cabinet, Monica Lewinsky and her family, and the
> American people. I have asked all for their forgiveness,'' said Clinton.
>
> It was the first time he had actually asked publicly for the forgiveness
> of Lewinsky...

But he didn't ask publicly for the forgiveness of Lewinsky.  He said that
he had already asked her for forgiveness.  Is this really true?  Has he
really spoken with her?  Or is it another lie?

Another example, from while Clinton was in Ireland:

Here's what he actually said:

> ``I've already said that I made a bad mistake, it was indefensible and
> I'm sorry about it,'' Clinton said, questioned at a photo opportunity
> with Irish Prime Minister Bertie Ahern. It was the first time he had
> used the word ``sorry.''

The wording is not quite as obvious here, but in the video record it was
clear that he was saying that he had already said that his behavior was
indefensible and that he was sorry about it.  Of course, this is not true,
he had never said that.

Knowing Clinton's lawyerlike mind, we can only assume that his wording
is carefully chosen.  He could easily have said, "I don't think there is
a fancy way to say it, but I have sinned," or, with regard to Lewinsky
and company, "I ask here for forgiveness from them all."

No doubt he takes a measure of satisfaction in knowing that his calculated
public contriteness is carefully arranged to make it seem like he is
saying things which he actually is not.  Clinton loves lies, and it
must be thrilling to lie brazenly and to be praised for his openness
and honesty as he does so.  For a professional hypocrite like Clinton,
there can be no greater reward.

Thread