1998-09-20 - Re: Questions for Magaziner? // taxing crypto

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: Ron Rivest <rivest@theory.lcs.mit.edu>
Message Hash: e5f7866b7a86774c8610ea05a86e96b5211032a221b5984d48af46f11e522e83
Message ID: <v04011701b22a16487023@[139.167.130.247]>
Reply To: <199809200104.VAA13387@swan>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-20 00:14:45 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 08:14:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 08:14:45 +0800
To: Ron Rivest <rivest@theory.lcs.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: Questions for Magaziner? // taxing crypto

At 9:04 PM -0400 on 9/19/98, Ron Rivest wrote:

> I feel mis-quoted and/or mis-represented in your note (below)
> stating that "Magaziner mirrored Rivest's offer to tax encryption
> products to pay for increased law enforcement technology support".

Okay. Cool. Sorry if I mischaracterized it somehow, I wasn't trying to.

Or was it Diffie who said something like that?

By the way, someone told me that the Crypto "Authors@MIT" talk with you and
Diffie, etc., was on CSPAN recently, so if someone *really* wanted to, they
could go back, see *exactly* what was said, and say here what the idea was,
(and who to attribute it to, of course), that prompted me to make the, um,
offending, comment, they could do so.

Frankly, I was too hyped from telling the FBI guy he didn't matter anymore,
not to mention his dirty look that followed :-), to remember it accurately
enough for scientific attribution.

"The cost of error on a network full of scientists is bandwidth."
 -- Hettinga's Law of Network Noise

Sorry if I mischaracterized what was surely the right thing to say at the
time... :-).

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga
Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA