1998-09-15 - Re: Larry Gilbert, AOLers, and the Hyper-real flamer

Header Data

From: Sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f41b64b2c51b88e8fd127fec1e5c6ddb26204f1fcb3704691c5733b913f1ad9c
Message ID: <35FEA45C.4B167064@brainlink.com>
Reply To: <199809150228.EAA19097@replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-15 04:41:03 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:41:03 +0800

Raw message

From: Sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 12:41:03 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Larry Gilbert, AOLers, and the Hyper-real flamer

Anonymous wrote:

> I know of several people in addition to myself who have complained to
> Sixdegrees about this. I've personally given up sending complaints back to
> them, and I lost count at 5. Sixdegrees simply ignores them. I've sent
> them to their upstream sites, and they either ignore them or tell me that
> they've forwarded them to Sixdegrees. My complaints, at least, were very
> civil. One explained exactly what a mailing list was, for crying out loud.
> I can't speak for Hyper-real's (if he sent any) and the others. You may be
> able to use that defense if Sixdegrees didn't know, but they do.

Don't ignore the fact that 6degrees of spam, like most other organizations that
pose as a free service do so to make money from ads.  The more sheep view the
ads of their true clients, the more money they make.  They have no interest in
cutting down the supply of viewers.  If a mailing list gets spammed because of
an asshole, so much the better since many of that list might go and check out
the site, even if just to find contact info to complain to.

--

.+.^.+.|       Sunder       |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.

Thread