1998-09-23 - Re: Stego-empty hard drives… (fwd)

Header Data

From: Sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
To: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Message Hash: f95f7e2315cdbca8fac7e7d2d3421c10d561298c4882ecc71d6a778a342dbf9b
Message ID: <360918AC.AFB13B40@brainlink.com>
Reply To: <199809231511.KAA10445@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-09-23 02:51:52 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:51:52 +0800

Raw message

From: Sunder <sunder@brainlink.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 10:51:52 +0800
To: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Subject: Re: Stego-empty hard drives... (fwd)

Jim Choate wrote:

> > controller, or you build a CPU emulator.  There is one that's > > freely available
> > called Bochs which will do this.  They can happily boot from their floppy
> > and talk directly to your virtual "hardware" and you still get through.
>
> How do you propose to start this hardware emulator when it's boot file isn't
> on their boot floppy?

Simple.  You set the bios to boot off the hard drive.  You could even set your
notebook to sleep, then when they ask you to turn it on, you wake it and have
your emulator boot from the floppy.  This is especially effective if you
scratch up the case of your notebook and make it look older by modifying it's
case to look like it's a 486 or 386 to account for the difference in speed.

Shit, if you had the source to something like SoftPC or Virtual PC, you could
modify it to work on a Mac notebook (of course the nice Apple Logo would give
you away, but I'm sure you can figure out how to modify the case and the apple
keys.)

> And you think customs agents using software and TEMPEST signature scanning
> is out in the woods....

I'll worry about them using TEMPEST scanners when I hear reports that say
they're using it.  Until such time, you're being overly paranoid.

Until they start, this point is moot.  In any case the answer to that silly
idea is tempest shield your box, but include RF transmitters in various places
outside the shielding to emit the frequencies that a normal unaltered notebook
would transmit.

--

.+.^.+.|       Sunder       |Prying open my 3rd eye.  So good to see |./|\.

Thread