1998-10-08 - RE: GPL & commercial software, the critical distinction (fwd)

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: Jim Choate <cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Message Hash: 1840431f013d813cc7910f460ef15a4c620e90791d7ba58ef533114c2dda7a1b
Message ID: <4.0.2.19981008065313.00c7aef0@shell11.ba.best.com>
Reply To: <199810062119.QAA09408@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-08 14:47:59 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:47:59 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 1998 22:47:59 +0800
To: Jim Choate <cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Subject: RE: GPL & commercial software, the critical distinction (fwd)

At 04:19 PM 10/6/98 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
> Who said anything about 'artificial'? You have a sneaky
> habit of sticking terms in there where they don't go hoping
> somebody won't catch it. We're talking a free-market, there
> are *only* two participants; provider and consumer. If I
> allow 'artificial' in there then there is the explicit
> assumption that a third party is now involved. I won't
> accept a bastardization of free-market in that manner.

Then your argument that free markets lead to monopoly collapses.

You cannot have monopoly (in the sense of the power to extract monopoly of
profits) except by state intervention as has been proven by experience time
and time again.

You have been unable to provide any examples of monopolies except those
created by state intervention, such as the railaways, and those existent
soley in your fevered imagination, such as the garment industry.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     LYz7nvyPxn5hJWCXB0WcID5+PVA+dhSjuuYvr+XY
     4UUZjd22g+i9n8TWluBRaLIz63RwJtaCWan7vyEZI
We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

http://www.jim.com/jamesd/      James A. Donald

Thread