1998-10-27 - Re: Airline ID Checking (was: RE: your mail)

Header Data

From: “Joel O’Connor” <ogrenivek@yahoo.com>
To: xasper8d@lobo.net
Message Hash: 215b0ac37c7d3fdd7573250b9dfc375f392db8df398130790fcbc4337d0735b2
Message ID: <19981027204352.13039.rocketmail@send103.yahoomail.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 05:33:55 +0800

Raw message

From: "Joel O'Connor" <ogrenivek@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 05:33:55 +0800
To: xasper8d@lobo.net
Subject: Re: Airline ID Checking (was: RE: your mail)

Who knows for sure anymore.  Because of the "Anti-Terrorism" bill, it
is required that security be beafed up.  When they scan the ID, it is
to check against their records that you are who you say you are. . .so
they say.  In actuality, they are tracing movements of people, so if
the shit comes down, they will know where everyone is, no matter where
you flew to.  Even with trains, all's it will take is one bomb and you
better believe security will be pumped up as high as it is with
airlines.  Who knows anymore, there's so much going on at every
spectrum of this globe that the probability of keeping up with a minor
fraction is hard enough.  The gov't control's all major transportation
routes, which control's movement and where everyone is at all times.
Soon, there will be no where to run to.

---X <xasper8d@lobo.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know what the airlines do with the info they collect off
the ID?
> Are they just noting whether the names match, or is it more sinister?
>
> When I was below legal drinking age (21 in my state) I would drive
up to the
> window (how barbaric!  liquor sales to guys in cars!) and give the
> sub-moronic guy my REAL ID under the assumption that:  he expects it
to say
> something that proves I am over age, or else why would I be handing
it to
> him? [nicely enough, this shifts all of the risk of the transaction
to him,
> should it go wrong.]
>
> Similarly, if you booked a flight under the name Nevah Umind, when
you hand
> over a piece of ID, they look to see it says Nevah Umind (unless, of
course,
> your name happens to be Nevah Umind) and that's all they want, right?
>
> And if we all booked flights under the same name, then wouldn't that
throw
> 'em WAY off?  Pick a name, DON'T scan your license in, DON'T edit
it, DON'T
> laminate it, and (for pete's sake!) DON'T use that name.  Their
querying
> will tell them, "I have a match, he's okay" (These are not the
droids you
> are looking for, eh!) and away you go!

==
Ogre bounces like sonar. . .Peace.