1998-10-26 - Re: Regarding Mitnick: not.

Header Data

From: “Brian B. Riley” <brianbr@together.net>
To: “Information Security” <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 7621c9c01945cc10fea671920cd445eee55183532b831729978c2878f4366546
Message ID: <199810260042.TAA27255@mx01.together.net>
Raw Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:02:51 +0800

Raw message

From: "Brian B. Riley" <brianbr@together.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 09:02:51 +0800
To: "Information Security" <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: Re: Regarding Mitnick: not.

On 10/25/98 12:11 AM, Information Security (guy@panix.com)  passed this
wisdom:

>ZDnet just sent out a newsletter promoting a series of stories,
>including this one:
>
>#   IS YOUR KID A HACKER?
>#   Is your teen hacking the Pentagon instead of doing homework?
>#   How to tell -- and how to handle it. Convicted hacker Kevin
>#   Mitnick gives his views.
>#
>#
>http://chkpt.zdnet.com/chkpt/zdnu98102501/www.zdnet.com/familypc/content/9
>810/columns/parental.html
>
>No mention of Mitnick.
>
>They apparently meant to name the article author 'Kevin Poulsen'.
>
>#   It happened to my family 15 years ago, in one of the first hacker
>raids in the
>#   country. At that time, I was the teenage miscreant who was illegally
>accessing
>#   federal computers. Now, in my early thirties, I've begun to wonder how
>I would
>#   protect a kid of my own from becoming a poster child for computer
>crime. I believe
>#   the best approach is to stay informed and to communicate with your
>potential
>#   cyberpunks.
>
>That reminds me. For those who haven't seen it, there is a commercial
>showing a little girl (about 8?) walking into an airport, dizzied by
>all the destination choices. The narrative turns to ~"and the Internet
>too has many destinations, not all of which she is ready for. Travel
>together..."
>
>All things considered, better than the Federales approach.

  actually it sounds more like "Reefer Madness" nineties style.

Brian B. Riley --> http://members.macconnect.com/~brianbr
  For PGP Keys  <mailto:brianbr@together.net?subject=Get%20PGP%20Key>

  "The first 75% of the project takes 90% of the time;
  the last 15% of the project takes the other 90% of the
  time. -- Barry Wainwright and numerous ofthe engineers

Thread