1998-10-30 - Re: 4 Horseman not so bad..

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c0dcc57717ce14c6ab45d406183da4c11e5c9159dc68e82fe6f142619468a584
Message ID: <199810301647.RAA06172@replay.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 01:29:26 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 01:29:26 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: 4 Horseman not so bad..

At 05:06 PM 10/29/98 -0500, Chip Mefford wrote:

>> Right.  The new Happy Net campaign.

>Well,
>
>Sorry, I don't mean to sound pollyanneish, thats not my point.
>Its just a point of view I had never heard expressed before, and
>I thought it was interesting.
>
>Fighting fear with more fear isn't working.
>Its just that simple, a different approach
>I think is worthy of investigation.

Your observation is in fact correct.  The fear must be
shown to be *exaggerated* for the benefit of the fearmongers.
The intrusion must be shown to be not just intruding on "them"
but on "us".  (Europe's recent interest in Echelon may be an example
of the latter.)

Sheeple will *eventually* learn (again) that nasty people
will always do nasty things with the technology du
jour, and mostly the police just mop up afterwards.
(If it isn't the State doing the nasty things in the
first place.)  Of course, we might have an intervening dark ages
for a millenia or two, but in the long run, you get a clue or
go extinct.

You don't ban something as basic as metal or
encryption because some people do bad things with it.
And you don't depend on laws to secure privacy.

In the meantime, morons whine for State control
of metal, while barbarians are destroying the town's
wooden walls with metal rams, and protective metal walls aren't being
deployed because the townies fear that the bad townies will abuse metal.

"Freedom of choice is what you have, freedom from choice is what you want"
-Devo

"Those that would trade liberty for security should be shot"
-Kite Sparko

Thread