1998-10-05 - Yet Again Another Snake Oil Vendor

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@invweb.net>
To: cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com
Message Hash: c3669ee11b9ad0283b0d1ff6cbcd5b29249d1dcb406dfd7f33dc57696203ff86
Message ID: <199810062107.RAA26498@domains.invweb.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 07:14:31 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@invweb.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 07:14:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com
Subject: Yet Again Another Snake Oil Vendor

Below is a message I posted to the SpyKing mailing list a few months back
when Jaws decided to spam the list with their crypto "challange".

In <3.0.3.32.19980601033850.0355c350@admin.con2.com>, on 06/01/98
   at 02:38 AM, SpyKing <spyking@con2.com> said:

>15)From: SpyKing@thecodex.com
>Subject: $5,000,000 "Break the Code" Encryption Contest

>Friday May 29, 3:00 pm Eastern Time
>Company Press Release
>SOURCE: JAWS Technologies Inc.

>JAWS Launches $5,000,000 ``Break the Code'' Encryption Contest

<sigh> Yet another Snake-oil post.

Such challenges like this are really meaningless and are designed as a
publicity stunt to gain some free press rather than as a legitimate test
of the strength of the algorithms involved.

The *only* way to test the security of an algorithm is through a process
of peer-review of the source code.

Until JAWS Technologies decides to go through this process I would stay
far away from this and any other products they may produce. It seems quite
clear that they have little to no understanding of the cryptology &
security fields.

I don't know what it is about the list but it seems that we must endure
these snake-oil posts on a periodic basis.

While I have replied here to many of these snake-oil advertisements I have
yet to see one of these companies post a rebuttal (to the list or
privately).

I have submitted a copy of the Snake-Oil FAQ to SpyKing requesting that he
publish it to the list (it's a little long so I don't want to post it
directly). It can also be found at:

http://www.interhack.net/people/cmcurtin/snake-oil-faq.html

Security & Encryption are the big buzz-words in the computer industry and
many companies are looking to cash-in on it. Be very wary of Johnny Come
Lately's who overnight become cryptology "experts".

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii

OS/2 PGP 5.0 at: http://users.invweb.net/~whgiii/pgp.html

Tag-O-Matic: I love running Windows! NOT!

Tag-O-Matic: You're throwing it all out the Windows!

 -- End of forwarded message

Tag-O-Matic: If at first you don't succeed, work for Microsoft.

Thread