1998-10-01 - Re: IP: New ExecOrd: Computer Software Piracy

Header Data

From: Anonymous <anon@ecn.org>
To: rah@shipwright.com
Message Hash: dbd18fdfea965e83e802b8aca1e0cb5257ab2cf96c0cbd6d402fb4607a30f916
Message ID: <199810020825.KAA01800@www.ecn.org>
Raw Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 03:03:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <anon@ecn.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 03:03:32 +0800
To: rah@shipwright.com
Subject: Re: IP: New ExecOrd: Computer Software Piracy

> Source:  US Newswire
> http://www.usnewswire.com/topnews/Current_Releases/1001-125.txt
>
> Clinton Issues Executive Order on Computer Software Piracy
> U.S. Newswire
> 1 Oct 14:10
>
> Clinton Issues Executive Order on Computer Software Piracy
> To: National Desk, Technology Writer
> Contact: White House Press Office, 202-456-2100
>
>   WASHINGTON, Oct. 1 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following was released
> today by the White House:
>
>                       EXECUTIVE ORDER
>                        - - - - - - -
>                   COMPUTER SOFTWARE PIRACY
>
>     The United States Government is the world's largest purchaser of
> computer-related services and equipment, purchasing more than $20
> billion annually.  At a time when a critical component in discussions
> with our international trading partners concerns their efforts to
> combat piracy of computer software and other intellectual property,
> it is incumbent on the United States to ensure that its own practices
> as a purchaser and user of computer software are beyond reproach.
> Accordingly, by the authority vested in me as President by the
> Constitution and the laws of the United States of America, it is
> hereby ordered as follows:
>
>     Section 1.  Policy.  It shall be the policy of the United States
> Government that each executive agency shall work diligently to
> prevent and combat computer software piracy in order to give effect
> to copyrights associated with computer software by observing the
> relevant provisions of international agreements in effect in the
> United States, including applicable provisions of the World Trade
> Organization Agreement on Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual
> Property Rights, the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary
> and Artistic Works, and relevant provisions of Federal law, including
> the Copyright Act.

I suppose this means the USG will decide to retroactively compensate
Inslaw for their use of the Promis software all these years...

Thread