1998-10-13 - Re: PI movie

Header Data

From: xenophon@serv.net
To: Walter Burton <wburton@pipestream.com>
Message Hash: e1dd32f7dcd48c8dac57b849694c79e54bd3a24ee637a31334cc197b7b7dc8e0
Message ID: <3623084C.FD708978@serv.net>
Reply To: <013D438ED22ED2119F630060082F763C08A781@kenny.pipestream.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-13 16:33:38 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:33:38 +0800

Raw message

From: xenophon@serv.net
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 00:33:38 +0800
To: Walter Burton <wburton@pipestream.com>
Subject: Re: _PI_ movie

I agree that there were one too many "tortured genius
staring in the mirror while flooded by angst" scenes. Okay, perhaps two
or three too many. That having been said, I found the themes interesting.
Maybe I am sophomoric, but I will always find the fibonacci constant facsinating.
I was impressed that the director did not overstep the bounds of his understanding
of it and Kabbalah. Many directors who broach either topic have a tendency
to take what little they know and extrapolate off into meaninglessness.
Also, I liked the soundtrack, and the scene where the protaganist
is "saved" by the group of Hasids. (Were they in an Aries K car? I found
that scene hilarious.)

Yes, it was pretentious in parts; but given the topics
this film concerned itself with, that was inevitable. And I would watch
the film 3.1416...times a day for a week before I would watch any
of the current slew of politcally correct propaganda pretending to be art
that gets pumped out by Hollywood. I venture to guess that there was more
to think about in Pi then there was in "One True Thing" or will be in "Beloved."
42,396. Er...no. 42,489. Um, wait. 23,777. yeah that's it.Xenophon

P.S. Has anyone seen the 2nd edition of "Maximum Security" yet? Any
reviews?

Thread