1998-10-16 - Re: IP: ISP not liable for customer’s messages

Header Data

From: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: e22fb27dfab2dfa0a6b1facaa6664ac72c31ef22c866d137fa483fd282e1d562
Message ID: <199810160639.BAA18347@wire.insync.net>
Reply To: <199810160538.WAA28804@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-16 07:08:17 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:08:17 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:08:17 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: IP: ISP not liable for customer's messages

> An appeals court in Florida has ruled against a woman who sued
> America Online because one of its customers, a convicted sex
> offender, used an AOL chat group to try to sell the woman's
> 11-year-old son a pornographic video. The court said that federal law
> protects online services from being held liable for the messages
> transmitted by their members sell the videotape of the boy. The
> defeated lawsuit, which is being appealed to the Supreme Court, tried
> to characterize America Online as "a home shopping network for
> pedophiles and child pornographers."  (AP/Washington Post 15 Oct 98)

As I recall, the individual was trying to sell a pornographic video
featuring the woman's 11 year old son, which is another thing entirely.

--
Eric Michael Cordian 0+