1998-10-04 - Re: Another question about free-markets…

Header Data

From: “James A. Donald” <jamesd@echeque.com>
To: cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Message Hash: ea7262e6758f7a2daed88086e762fe06932270d808e25499f7627687d896a747
Message ID: <199810050614.XAA14618@proxy3.ba.best.com>
Reply To: <199810050453.XAA01444@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-04 17:13:44 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 01:13:44 +0800

Raw message

From: "James A. Donald" <jamesd@echeque.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 01:13:44 +0800
To: cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Subject: Re: Another question about free-markets...

At 11:53 PM 10/4/98 -0500, Jim Choate wrote:
> Now in a free-market, by definition, there is no law. What
> then is the responsibility of businesses other than the
> pure unadulterated pursuit of profit?

None whatsoever.

> If this includes lying, denying consumers information, etc.
> what harm is done, they have fulfilled their responsibility
> to their shareholders (potentialy quite lucratively)

While there is a sucker born every minute, the strategy you
describe is for the most part unlikely to be profitable.

> Within this environment it follows that a primary strategy
> for such executives is the elimination of *all*
> competition.

Fortunately the most cost effective method of eliminating all
competition is that followed by Alcoa, to deliver a
satisfactory product at the cheapest possible price.

In the cocaine market a number of organizations have
attempted to employ other methods for eliminating
competition, but here in America these methods have generally
proved not only unprofitable, but also for the most part
fatal.

    --digsig
         James A. Donald
     GyHvJ0Mh5TLXWeuRFFAMR+C9RlwfJf71h1IZ/fFt
     4+Ev0QZVg+BYgSXjL4IgOBonA/OwuM11NaPGTgMxr
We have the right to defend ourselves and our property, because
of the kind of animals that we are. True law derives from this
right, not from the arbitrary power of the omnipotent state.

http://www.jim.com/jamesd/      James A. Donald

Thread