1998-10-14 - Re: question

Header Data

From: Nym 2 <nym2@dongco.hyperreal.art.pl>
To: “Bernie B. Terrado” <bbt@peak-two.uplb.edu.ph>
Message Hash: fd3dbf2076c74aaf2958979edaac657bc138def71b7f241f76bb0e03358cef05
Message ID: <19981013224540.15380.qmail@serek.arch.pwr.wroc.pl>
Reply To: <Pine.GSO.3.96.981007180419.18061B-100000@peak-two.uplb.edu.ph>
UTC Datetime: 1998-10-14 00:15:40 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:15:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Nym 2 <nym2@dongco.hyperreal.art.pl>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:15:40 +0800
To: "Bernie B. Terrado" <bbt@peak-two.uplb.edu.ph>
Subject: Re: question

"Bernie B. Terrado" <bbt@peak-two.uplb.edu.ph> wrote:

> traceroute, is it effective as ping or finger.
> what other info would I have to know about it

ping just tells you that a host is reachable. finger gives you information
on who is logged in, which real name is associated to an address etc.
traceroute gives you a list of hosts that are used to connect from your
site to the other host. you can use traceroute and whois to figure out
where a host is located, who is their isp, etc.

Thread