1998-11-19 - Re: Goldbach’s Conjecture - a question about prime sums of odd numbers…

Header Data

From: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 031e1621012b633365e484a02cc9605cb6d5a41d002d7ea37dfa7c707886a370
Message ID: <199811190620.AAA02077@wire.insync.net>
Reply To: <199811190522.XAA01164@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-19 06:35:46 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:35:46 +0800

Raw message

From: Eric Cordian <emc@wire.insync.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 14:35:46 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Goldbach's Conjecture - a question about prime sums of odd numbers...

Jim Choate writes:

> Hi,

> I have a question related to Goldbach's Conjecture:

> All even numbers greater than two can be represented as the sum of primes.

All even numbers greater than two can be represented as the sum of
TWO primes.

> Is there any work on whether odd numbers can always be represented as the
> sum of primes?

Goldbach originally suggested that all numbers greater than two could be
expressed as the sum of three primes, if one tossed in 1 as a prime
number.  Euler pointed out that this was equivalent to even numbers
greater than two being expressed as the sum of two primes.

This seemed a somewhat cleaner formulation, and it was adopted.

--
Sponsor the DES Analytic Crack Project
http://www.cyberspace.org/~enoch/crakfaq.html

Thread