1998-11-15 - Could E.M. Cordian be Matt Blaze in Disguise? (Nah!)

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 1f5e2dc7139004738a2de03d037ff9ed42f53282715518cb0d00294f83ebca2c
Message ID: <v04020a09b2741a85d154@[139.167.130.246]>
Raw Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:06:22 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 14:06:22 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Could E.M. Cordian be Matt Blaze in Disguise?  (Nah!)

:-)

Bwahahaha!

Isn't this fun???

Cheers,
Bob Hettinga

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 00:31:21 -0500
To: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>, dcsb@ai.mit.edu
From: Vin McLellan <vin@shore.net>
Cc: Matt Blaze <mab@research.att.com>

	Out on the Cypherpunks List, "Anonymous" claimed to reveal the real
identity of E.M. Cordian, the organizer of the DES Analytical Crack. See:
http://www.cyberspace.org/~enoch/crakfaq.html

	In response, Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com> declared:

>Just to clear the air a smidge.
>
>If Matt Blaze says he's looking for an algebraic inverse to DES, I tend to
>believe him...

	Jeeze, Rob! This is your attempt to help "clear the air?"

	I do not for a moment believe that Eric Michael Cordian
<emc@wire.insync.net> is a pseudonym for Matt Blaze <mab@research.att.com>!

	You should maybe query Matt directly <mab@research.att.com> before
you endorse E.M. Cordian as Matt Blaze in drag. You could confuse a whole
lot of people who trust your insider knowledge of these steamy Net Affairs.

	To anyone familiar with Blaze's essays, speeches, & on-line posts,
a scan of  Mr. Codrian's FAQ and published comments should make it apparent
that this suggestion is unlikely, if not perposterous.

	The real Matt Blaze would also not be making these absurd and false
claims that some mysterious "book" describing a cryptosystem identical or
equivalent to the RSA public key cryptosystem was published "years" before
Ron Rivest, Adi Shamir and Len Adelman  first published their RSA PKC
algorithm in April, 1977.  (It's well documented in the Cypherpunk
archives, Codrian assures us;-)

	There was no such book. Cordian's statement is just not true. The
real Matt Blaze -- the guy who wrote the pithy Afterward to Schneier's
Applied Cryptography,II -- would know that this is not true.

	(Actually, I'd bet that even Robert Hettinga knows that this is
untrue.)

	Mind you, if the real Matt Blaze announced that he was seeking $500
from twenty people to fund a private research project which he felt had a
meaningful chance of casting DES as a NP-hard combinatorial problem and
attacking it with an appropriate combinatorial algorithm, I'd send a check
off tomorrow.

	The real Matt Blaze would not have 15 donors -- as Mr. Cordian
reports -- but be stimied on how to get five more.

	I wish Mr. Cordian well in his algebraic attack on DES -- but,
unfortunately, he is not the real Matt Blaze. Not even a near-clone.

	We could do with a few more professionals with Blaze's talent,
energy, and integrity in general circulation.

	Suerte,

		_Vin

-----
"Cryptography is like literacy in the Dark Ages. Infinitely potent, for
good and ill... yet basically an intellectual construct, an idea, which by
its nature will resist efforts to restrict it to bureaucrats and others who
deem only themselves worthy of such Privilege."
_ A Thinking Man's Creed for Crypto  _vbm.

 *     Vin McLellan + The Privacy Guild + <vin@shore.net>    *
      53 Nichols St., Chelsea, MA 02150 USA <617> 884-5548

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA