1998-11-05 - Re: US Cyberthreat Policy

Header Data

From: Ken Williams <jkwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 1ffd5de41a4447e5b2112042049d282f56e90070b3400ce63a18f2a60e37f5f3
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.4.05.9811051631520.2654-100000@ultra1-100lez.eos.ncsu.edu>
Reply To: <199811051449.JAA12327@camel8.mindspring.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-05 22:19:55 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 06:19:55 +0800

Raw message

From: Ken Williams <jkwilli2@unity.ncsu.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 06:19:55 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: US Cyberthreat Policy

Kenneth A. Minihan and George J. Tenet Elected to America Online, Inc.
Board of Directors
New Board Members Hail From NSA and CIA

DULLES, VA /DenounceNewswire/ -- 5 November 1998 -- America Online, Inc.
announced today Lieutenant General Kenneth A. Minihan, Director of the
National Security Agency and Chief of the Central Security Service, and
George J. Tenet, Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, have been
elected to its Board of Directors. AOL now boasts a board that includes
the former head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Colin Powell; a former
Nixon aide General Alexander Haig; and two distingished leaders of the
U.S. intelligence community.

"I am proud today to announce the election of Lieutenant General Kenneth
Minihan and George Tenet to America Online's Board of Directors. Both of
them possess records of proven leadership and commitment to public
service that will be invaluable to our company as we work to build our
business and the interactive medium into the next millennium," said
Steve Case, Chairman and CEO of America Online, Inc.

Mr. Case added: "Lieutenant General Minihan's record of service to our
country, both in the military and in his current work with the NSA, is
without equal in our times. His commitment to America's security and our
country's future fits squarely with AOL's determination to build an
online medium that dominates people's lives -- helping us to learn, to
organize their lives, and even to engage more fully in the political
process."

Mr. Case continued: "George Tenet is a visionary leader in both the
world of intelligence-gathering and the mass marketplace. He has played
key roles in landmark achievements for our society. His expertise in the
world of cloak and dagger will serve AOL in meeting the critical
challenges facing the Company and in fulfilling our commitment to build
a medium that threatens society as no other before."

Mr. Case wasn't done yet, adding further: "We look forward to working
with the NSA and the CIA as we migrate the AOL network over to complete
ECHELON compatibility with the next six months." ECHELON is the
government's secret worldwide network that monitors all voice, data,
fax, video, satellite, and digital communications in every country,
recording, indexing, and collating every utterance made between every
man, woman, child, business, or other organization, as well as between
any two computer systems anywhere.

"The perception that the Internet can change and improve peoples' lives
and to reconnect them to their community is powerful and extraordinary,"
said Lt. General Minihan. "I'm honored to serve on the Board of a
company that has been leading the way in creating such a perception in
the public's mind, and leading the way to shaping a medium that that
will open new doors of opportunity for our national security state."

"In the next few years, public policy discussions in Washington and
around the world will have as much to do with the development and
ultimate impact of the Internet as any technological advance," said Mr.
Tenet. "I look forward to serving a Company that is at the center of
these policy discussions and is playing a large role in determining the
success -- or failure -- of people around the world."

source: http://www.denounce.com/nsaol.html

Regards,
- --
Ken Williams