1998-11-24 - A tad more on Goldbach’s…

Header Data

From: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
To: cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Message Hash: 6d30e9e3edca08813a9d684595888f19393f8acbaba0bfebe86345b11b43f7a7
Message ID: <199811240103.TAA23512@einstein.ssz.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:33:37 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 09:33:37 +0800
To: cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Subject: A tad more on Goldbach's...

I figure I'll drop a couple of more points on this since nobody else seems to
have twigged to them....

Goldbach's original conjecture is crap. There is NO way that 3 odd numbers
will ever equal an even number. Odd + Odd is Even. Even + Odd is Odd. Fermat
was a hell of a lot more charitable to the original assertion than I would
have been.

Goldbach's existing conjecture can be worded another way:

Any even number may be represented by the sum of 3 even numbers provided two
of the numbers are 1 less than a prime and we add 2.

It's obvious that an even number can always be the sum of other even
numbers, it's axiomatic. The question actualy is:

Is the set of even numbers whose members are one less than the corresponding
member of the primes sufficient, when added to 2, to sum to all the even
numbers.

As far as I can find nobody has written a lot on patterns of even numbers 1
less than the odds. There's not even a name for the set that I can find.

As to somebodies assertion that an odd number can be represented by the sum
of two odds, better study your math a tad better. Odd + Odd is *always*
Even, never Odd.

Happy Thanksgiving!

             Technology cannot make us other than what we are.

                                           James P. Hogan

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage@ssz.com