1998-11-18 - FC: More on Network Associates and its crypto-politics

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cryptography@c2.net
Message Hash: 6f8056833af5e38d53e857f7cfe554bebc811d88fdd2b3b77a2e67f424656822
Message ID: <v04020a04b277c6d69429@[139.167.130.246]>
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:20:41 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 09:20:41 +0800
To: cryptography@c2.net
Subject: FC: More on Network Associates and its crypto-politics

--- begin forwarded text

Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 17:44:01 -0500
To: politech@vorlon.mit.edu
From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Sender: owner-politech@vorlon.mit.edu

Cabe Franklin <cabe.franklin@cbpr.com> forwards this statement from Wes
Wasson, director of marketing for Network Associates' security division:

>"NAI officially withdrew from the Key Recovery Alliance in late 1997. In May
>of 1998, NAI acquired Trusted Information Systems, which had been an active
>member of the KRA. NAI subsequently reliquished the leadership role TIS had
>taken in the organization. NAI Labs' TIS Advanced Research Division
continues
>to monitor the KRA's activities from a technical perspective, but Network
>Associates in no way advocates mandatory key recovery."
>- Cabe Franklin (NAI PR)
>415-975-2223

TIS supports export controls on encryption products. My article:
 http://www.well.com/user/declan/pubs/cwd.shadow.cryptocrats.0298.txt

-Declan

subscribe politech
More information is at http://www.well.com/~declan/politech/

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA