1998-11-17 - Re: dbts: Privacy Fetishes, Perfect Competition, and the (fwd)

Header Data

From: Michael Hohensee <mah248@nyu.edu>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 77462e6eb3e0ab42c32b94334f63d74f2fa1144f51b5c919542a656a9ede27fb
Message ID: <3651C7E5.2C737F0B@nyu.edu>
Reply To: <199811171328.HAA15035@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-17 19:35:18 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 03:35:18 +0800

Raw message

From: Michael Hohensee <mah248@nyu.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 03:35:18 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: dbts: Privacy Fetishes, Perfect Competition, and the (fwd)

Jim Choate wrote:

> [...]

Now wait a minute, which side was it that said that an "anarchistic
society" was an oxymoron?  You know, that we can't have a society
without a state?  The state is nothing but an organization which kills
anyone who doesn't obey its will (however that will is determined, or
however many orders it will give you before disobedience is fatal).  By
saying this, you *are* saying that it is necessary to "have a social
institution that announces that it has the job of killing anybody who
competes with it or fails to obey its proclamations of the will of the
majority" in order to have *any* social institutions (i.e., to have a
society).

*We* weren't the ones who raised that strawman. ;)

> Explain how it works, it's that simple (and repeated for about the umpteenth
> time).

We have, haven't you been listening?

Michael Hohensee

Thread