1998-11-21 - Re: Digital cockroaches, 5 IP’s per body by 2000 [CNN]

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
To: Michael Motyka <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 77797d18f7c38ad679cf6c521350c338824330bf3e55bbb003674c086397466d
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19981121141105.00b9d9a0@idiom.com>
Reply To: <3655BB59.76A8@lsil.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-21 20:08:16 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:08:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <bill.stewart@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:08:16 +0800
To: Michael Motyka <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Digital cockroaches, 5 IP's per body by 2000 [CNN]

At 10:56 AM 11/20/98 -0800, Michael Motyka wrote:
>>    "Everyone will have an average of five IP objects on their body by
>>    2000," he predicted.
>This is just blue sky space cadet baby wish babble. AKA : typical
>marketing spew.   [....]
>Why would I voluntarily wear five independent tracking devices? So Louis
>Freeh can do telemetry and administer electroshock from Windows 2000?

A while back I stopped wearing a wristwatch because I was normally
carrying about 5 things that did or should know what time it was,
between pagers, cellphone, etc.  IP is less likely, but maybe it'll happen.

There's no reason to assume the IP devices are transmit-connected
to the outside world; if you've wearing or carrying multiple devices
that talk two each other, and CPU is nearly free, might as well
put a Layer 3 protocol on them as well as Layer 1 and Layer 2,
so your Gargoyle-Vision eyeglasses and left or right earpieces can operate
independently and wireless, regardless of whether you're carrying
the backpack microCray or just one or more of the beltpack or
pocketsized WhereAmIGPS receiver, VoicePDA, Sony WalkPerson,
more flexible hearing aid, 1-way pager, or broadcast news receiver,
all of which can be smaller and more convenient because they
share the same output displays rather than each having their own,
as well as having the two-way IPcellphone, shoephone, email, and web,
and the one-or-two-way pickup of data feeds from museums,
data-billboards, traffic reports, sidewalk-toll-collection, and air tax.

But even the two-way devices don't _have_ to support tracking you -
some of the Mobile IP protocols are better at that than others,
so the Feds may know that somebody with a DHCP address is tunneled
into the microcell on the streetcorner, but not who, or alternatively
they may be able to see the outside of the tunnel to trace you
but not see the insides.  After all, the military's happy to develop
location-hiding protocols, like onion routing, even if the FBI
and other parts of the military want traceability and eavesdropping.

>Anyone know a URL for Starion nee Comsec( 3DES telephones ) ?

If that's Eric Blossom's company, Altavista should know where to find it.
				Thanks!
					Bill
Bill Stewart, bill.stewart@pobox.com