1998-11-25 - Re: Y2K Report Card

Header Data

From: Jim Burnes - Denver <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
To: Anonymous <nobody@nowhere.to>
Message Hash: a851f9d06ea85213ae6271a0efa51cb53b5bdcdee315348587e376a73bcd60f7
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.981125003651.16951A-100000@denver>
Reply To: <50a20d7167d9f00b008bf7c81c8b6ee0@anonymous>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-25 08:18:07 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:18:07 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Burnes - Denver <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 16:18:07 +0800
To: Anonymous <nobody@nowhere.to>
Subject: Re: Y2K Report Card

On Wed, 25 Nov 1998, Anonymous wrote:

> Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:55:01 +0900 (JST)
> From: Anonymous <nobody@nowhere.to>
> To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
> Subject: Y2K Report Card
>
> AGENCIES GET NEW REPORT CARDS ON Y2K READINESS
>

> Saying "the picture is a gloomy one," Congressman
> Stephen Horn, chair of the House subcommittee
> responsible for overseeing government progress on
> averting the Y2K problem, has given out new report
> cards to federal agencies.  Three departments
> flunked:  Justice; Health & Human Services; and
> State.

Wonder what the implications of this are?

>  The Defense Department gets a D-minus.

So this means they flunked too.  Since having the
DOD non compliant could be a national security risk.
That means they flunked, but we couldn't say so.

How many nukes are going to be checking the number
of days since they last talked to launch control?
What are the chances they are date sensitive?
What happens if they should lose contact for
greater than a certain number of days?  Do they
assume we've been nuked? How about the russians?
The Chinese?  What if the entire US DOD C&C network
goes down.  Is it an EMP?  Is it infowar?  Is it
Y2K?

> Three departments get A grades:  Small Business
> Administration;  Social Security Administration;
> and the National Science Foundation.

Was this graded on a curve? ;-O

I thought SSA was still two years off target.

>  The Social
> Security Administration began working on the
> problem in 1989, eight years before most other
> government agencies.

This A/B/C/D/F stuff worked in school, but on a
complex remediation effort doesn't really mean
anything.

Is that an 'A' for effort?

jim

Thread