1998-11-16 - Re: Attempt by UK govt to plug tax hole…

Header Data

From: Jim Burnes - Denver <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
To: Jean-Francois Avon <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Message Hash: ac9cbbf9fdef45ef1abd4ff4d590afc9378a0ee76298a71c865eb6fd4d46d516
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.981116153116.4638E-100000@denver>
Reply To: <199811162035.PAA21574@cti06.citenet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-16 23:24:40 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:24:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Burnes - Denver <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 1998 07:24:40 +0800
To: Jean-Francois Avon <jf_avon@citenet.net>
Subject: Re: Attempt by UK govt to plug tax hole...

> Global initiatives present challenges to BVI
>
> BRITISH VIRGIN ISLANDS - Proposed initiatives created for "combating
> harmful preferential tax regimes"

Man, that is what I call a loaded statement.  It speaks volumes.

> While the BVI Government has been cooperative with the international
> community in its "ambitious attempts to create a new international standard,"

First I heard about this.  Is this some sort of NWO move to "harmonize"
tax levels worldwide so that no one can escape their clutches?  Someone
should tell New Zealand, which apparently is rescinding income taxes
altogether after 2000.

> he said he welcomes the offer of the British Government to appoint a UK
> financed consultancy to ascertain the full implication the proposed initiatives
> will have on overseas territories.

My guess is that the Cayman Islands are going to buy some political
representation (as if they already haven't)

> Initiatives arose from recommendations made by the Organisation of
> Economic Cooperative Development (OECD) as well as concerns expressed
> by the European Union, and the group of seven major industrialized
> countries, the G7. In September, a seminar was held to sensitise the overseas
> territories to the attitude of the international community, the UK
> Government's resolve to tackle harmful tax competition

"Harmful tax competition".  "Sensitise".  ROTFLOL.

> Of the concerns noted by the Chief Minister were OCED initiatives to counter
> the spread to tax havens and harmful preferential regimes, and the creation of
> an OECD list which classifies many countries including the BVI and other UK
> overseas territories as tax havens.

Countering tax havens with what?  Gunboat diplomacy?  Tax the hell out
of your citizens or we bomb you!

jim

Thread