1998-11-05 - Netscape inside scoop on “Smart Browsing”

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: ada66e19eaeb6750c872f93fd287e8010d2b7fd870a96744439a4e6a99038eca
Message ID: <v04020a01b2674da3d3bb@[139.167.130.247]>
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:21:32 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 21:21:32 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Netscape inside scoop on "Smart Browsing"

--- begin forwarded text

From: rivalcs@ma.ultranet.com
To: <isig@blu.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 1998 06:00:21 -0500
Sender: owner-isig@blu.org

> * IS SMART BROWSING REALLY SO SMART?
> (contributed by Mark Joseph Edwards, http://www.ntsecurity.net)
> Many of you are aware of Netscape's new versions of its Navigator Web
> browser. But do you also know that, starting with version 4.06, the
> product's Smart Browsing feature can report to Netscape every Web page
> you visit, including addresses to private sites on your internal
> network? And are you aware that when you download a secure version of
> Netscape's browser, the process places a cookie on your system that can
> match your name and address to your Web surfing habits? Matt Curtin,
> Gary Ellison, and Doug Monroe of Interhack published a report that
> outlines the details. Netscape's What's Related? browser feature (a
> technology provided by Alexa Internet) seems to be the cause of this
> potential invasion of privacy. For those who don't know, the What's
> Related? feature delivers a list of URLs associated with the Web page
> you're visiting. The feature does this by automatically appending the
> URL of the page you're visiting to the end of another URL and sending
> it to a server at Netscape. For example, if you visit my Web site
> (http://www.ntsecurity.net), the URL that Netscape receives is
> http://www-rl4.netscape.com/wtgn?www.ntsecurity.net. And when Netscape
> uses this URL to return a list of URLs for related sites, the URLs
> aren't directly linked-they go through Netscape, telling Netscape which
> site, if any, you chose from the list. The related URLs link to
> http://info.netscape.com, which forwards you to the intended
> destination. The link URLs look like this:
> http://info.netscape.com/fwd/rl/http://www.ntshop.net:80/.
>   The report states that the group isn't accusing anyone of malice, and
> clearly points out that even the best-intended systems can have
> undesirable consequences. The real bone to pick here is the lack of
> disclosure to potential users of the Smart Browsing technology, and
> lack of a statement about the intended storage and use of private
> browsing information collected from unsuspecting Netscape users.
> According to the report, the feature enables by default, and no
> documentation on the feature existed until the report became public. I
> don't know about you, but if I bought a new Corvette from General
> Motors (GM), and the Corvette reported to GM every place I went, I'd
> expect GM to tell me up front. Otherwise, I'd feel deceived and taken
> advantage of. But then again, maybe I'm being paranoid when I assume
> that private actions should remain private.
>   http://www.interhack.net/pubs/whatsrelated/
>   http://home.netscape.com/escapes/related/faq.html

Rick Desautels
Sr. Systems Engineer
Rival Computer Solutions
rivalcs@ma.ultranet.com

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA