1998-11-13 - Re: dbts: Privacy Fetishes, Perfect Competition, and the (fwd)

Header Data

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
To: Jim Choate <cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Message Hash: b3ebf572274c06f5df8cc51424fc65d31060f8d7025e7a7085262d6c987f5a8c
Message ID: <199811131629.LAA09514@mail1.panix.com>
Reply To: <199811131436.IAA32048@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-13 17:21:30 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 01:21:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Duncan Frissell <frissell@panix.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 01:21:30 +0800
To: Jim Choate <cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com (Cypherpunks Distributed Remailer)
Subject: Re: dbts: Privacy Fetishes, Perfect Competition, and the (fwd)

At 08:36 AM 11/13/98 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:

>So what we are left with is a system whereby people mediate their actions
>based on the compatibility of their personal philosophies.

Standard interoperation of different protocols.  We do it all the time.

>As I've said
>before, anarcho- based systems make the same phsychological mistake that
>every system other than a democracy makes; if it works for one person the
>answer should be acceptable to another. The very fact that the contrary to
>this is one of the reasons behind anarcho- support doesn't seem to impinge
>upon the concioussness. Anarchy is contradictory at the axiomatic level.
>
>Another way to see it is: Let people do what they want and they'll naturaly
>                          conform to what I want.

Who cares what they do as long as they leave me alone.

>There is this same axiomatic problem with Hayek's economics and social
>theories.

He was not an anarchist.

If voluntary interaction doesn't work as a social system then we're all in
big trouble because persons (you?) who love to command others will have a
hard time doing so as everyone becomes rich, mobile, and technologically
powerful.  If you have figured out a way to push around rich, mobile, and
technologically powerful people you're a smarter man than I am.  I'm sure
the Feds could use your unique insights.

BTW we live in a representative republic not a democracy and the theory was
that it was to be a representative republic of strictly limited powers.
Our representatives have forgotten.  Technology and market institutions are
teaching them different.

DCF

Thread