1998-11-10 - RE: dbts: Privacy Fetishes, Perfect Competition, and the Foregone (fwd)

Header Data

From: Reeza! <howree@cable.navy.mil>
To: cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com
Message Hash: cd1a4c4a2eefbf702a43ac2eaf9c79dde23b2c2f62d0d4de8065fd9dffa48d00
Message ID: <3.0.5.32.19981111012502.0085b210@205.83.192.13>
Reply To: <199811100252.UAA15446@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-11-10 16:17:40 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 00:17:40 +0800

Raw message

From: Reeza! <howree@cable.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 00:17:40 +0800
To: cypherpunks@einstein.ssz.com
Subject: RE: dbts: Privacy Fetishes, Perfect Competition, and the Foregone (fwd)

At 08:52 PM 11/9/98 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
> [...]

I think there may be a finer distiction- it lies in corruption of the
enforcing body. A tomato purchased on the black market is significant of
	a) a seller with goods
	b) a buyer with money
	c) a buyer who can be fined for making purchases on the black
	   market because they obviously have money.

This is the same sort of tactic imho as the war on drugs(tm). Big show,
little enforcement, extract money from the money holders. Money exchanges =
leniency.

--snip--

>> 	I still maintain that as one moves closer to a completely free
>> market, there is less and less of a black market, and to be the extrememe
>> case of a free market, there would be the potential to trade in both human
>> lives, and in stolen property.
>
>Well, at least you're an honest eco-anarchist. And how do you propose to stop
>this sort of behaviour (it's clear that there is a market whether the
>economy is free-market or not) without some sort of 3rd party arbiter (call
>it government or not is irrelevant to the point)?

Aside from the comment on honesty, the rest of this reply is sophistry.
Petro was asserting a point, which Jim acknowledged, then procedes to
assassinate with particulars of questionable relevance. In a true anarchy,
who is to say that trade in human lives and stolen property must be stopped
in that "true free market"???

>> In a free market, the selling of stolen
>> goods might not be a crime in and of itself, but the posession of those
>> things could be,
>
>How the hell do you sell something on the black market if you don't have
>possession of it? And exactly who is going to prosecute anyone for
>possession? Since we've done away with laws governing economics and trade
>there isn't even a court to try the perps in if we did apprehend them
>ourselves.

I smell straw man. A reseller is not necessarily a "possessor". By virtue
of this loophole in existing law (which *could* become the rule de jour),
many items are offered for sale, which are not necessarily legal to
"possess". Don't say name "one", 'cuz I already have it in mind. Does a
black marketeer qualify as a "reseller"??? DamnIfyno. Is there a precedent
that would by honored in a society such as the hypothetical one being
discussed??? DamnIfyno again. But it is an interesting question, I think.
Most likely is that "protection monies" would get paid, the purchaser
arrested on his way _away_ from the *shop* where the purchase was made.

Reeza!

	If you see a man approaching you with the obvious intention
	of doing you good, you should run for your life.
				-stolen from a cypherpunk sig

Thread