1998-11-14 - RE: Rivest Patent

Header Data

From: Jim Gillogly <jim@acm.org>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: e2b14bec9a756b980fc94c4534fd0242849782eb9adea5ddc96b1318683d9f97
Message ID: <364CC4AF.E30659DA@acm.org>
Raw Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 08:20:45 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Gillogly <jim@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 14 Nov 1998 08:20:45 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: RE: Rivest Patent

"Harvey Rook (Exchange)" <hrook@exchange.microsoft.com> writes:
> It's a little bit more complicated than that. RC-6, which also uses data
> dependant rotations is patent free.

It's a little bit more complicated than that.  RC6 will be available
without licensing charges to anybody if it's tapped as the official
winner of the AES bakeoff.  If it's not selected, then it's my
understanding that RSADSI (Security Dynamics?) may choose to require
payment for licensing -- I assume based on the RC5 patent.  The current
understanding is that AES candidates sign over their rights only if they
are selected.  Several candidates have been explicitly put into the
public domain in advance of the selection process; RC6 is not one of these.

Please correct me if it's more complicated than <this>.
--
	Jim Gillogly
	Trewesday, 23 Blotmath S.R. 1998, 23:38

Thread