1998-12-30 - limitations of fed power (was CLT&G Update: 29 Dec 98 (fwd))

Header Data

From: Jim Burnes - Denver <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
To: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Message Hash: 0a6ec087804413ad8cafeacf98b635dcef7a56da4d9932f51e65eb7e708b475b
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.91.981230111722.19614A-100000@denver>
Reply To: <199812301657.KAA05177@einstein.ssz.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-30 19:03:50 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 03:03:50 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Burnes - Denver <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 1998 03:03:50 +0800
To: Jim Choate <ravage@EINSTEIN.ssz.com>
Subject: limitations of fed power (was CLT&G Update: 29 Dec 98 (fwd))

On Wed, 30 Dec 1998, Jim Choate wrote:

> [...]

That would be a valid point if we were living in that arrangement.  I
like to be a little more specifc.  We are living in a democratically elected
reprentative constitutional republic.

The point of that constitution is to shackle the tendancy of
a bureaucracy from assuming authority over matters never
assigned to it and using its enforcement powers to assure it.
Eventually the people, wallowing in ignorance, forget the
infraction and the bureacracy assumes de facto control.

More eloquently stated:

"Our Constitution has accordingly fixed the limits to which, and no
further, our confidence may go... In questions of power, then, let no more
be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the
chains of the Constitution." --Thomas Jefferson: Draft Kentucky
Resolutions, 1798. ME 17:388

jim

Thread