1998-12-04 - RE: I Got Mine

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Message Hash: 1e7327f91b11efc7813d84cb60de81d269d57a31983f4bc2bb68b9cd39f67402
Message ID: <v0313032ab28d26aeb57f@[209.66.100.75]>
Reply To: <v03130326b28cc1ba69cb@[209.66.100.75]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-04 06:21:05 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:21:05 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 14:21:05 +0800
To: <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net>
Subject: RE: I Got Mine

At 8:39 PM -0800 12/3/98, Blanc wrote:
>Well, I'm glad my post has stirred up everyone into providing examples of
>proper
>cpunk behavior/responses when confronted with a visit from the Friendly
>Neighborhood Investigation Corp.   It's great you're sharing your ideas on
>recalcitrance and resistance, it's more useful than all the jibberjabber about
>how much you hate the govmt.   (Yes, but how do you actually respond to a real
>live representative standing at your door (they showed me their Batches), to a
>real-live situtation when you are taken to a little room and asked to strip
>("asked"?) at the airport?)   Ya'll should have done this earlier, when
>the news
>of Toto first came out.  And think about it now, because if any mail from you
>was on his computer, you're likely to be next.

I was very careful to phrase my points in terms of how I _hope_ to respond
in a certain way, not claiming I have in the past or know I will in the
future. Maybe I'll wimp out, maybe I'll offer to tell them everything I
know about the Politician Removal Lottery, maybe I'll open up on them with
my shotgun. Who knows?

My point, parallel to Duncan's, is that talking to narcs and cops almost
always never helps the accused. If one's goal is to help the prosecution,
then by all means talk to the prosecution's investigators.

As for the general points, Duncan and several others have made these kinds
of common sense points in the past...even when you were subscribed to the
list. For example, some folks even carry a "What to do if questioned by the
police" card in their wallet, to either read from--assuming this is
allowed--or to reread occasionally as a reminder.

You, apparently having had personal contact with either one or both of the
parties, and living in the state where both cases are centered, might have
anticipated questioning by the cops.

>But relax!  -  I said nothing which is not public knowledge, which is not
>already evident from the list archives.

Don't understimate the help that a helpful person provides.

--Tim May

"I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, just the way the President did."