1998-12-29 - Anti-Crypto CongressCritters - FWD: And you thought it was Larry Flynt . . .

Header Data

From: “Stewart, William C (Bill), BNSVC” <billstewart@att.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 226f6b472bb3a478c43995dcde56782109dceefad9ff34e521721993a8a64167
Message ID: <25683280FF49D2119B480000C0AD59009DCAAE@mo3980po13.ems.att.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:50:58 +0800

Raw message

From: "Stewart, William C (Bill), BNSVC" <billstewart@att.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:50:58 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Anti-Crypto CongressCritters - FWD: And you thought it was Larry Flynt . . .

Sigh.  Plus ca change
From:   Stewart Baker (sbaker@steptoe.com)
    Elizabeth Banker (ebanker@steptoe.com)

The press would have you believe that it was Larry Flynt and his
million-dollar
tales of infidelity that caused the unexpected change in House leadership
this
month, but encryption policy buffs -- paranoid by nature and proud of it --
are beginning to focus on another suspect, one with more to gain.

That's because it is the Federal Bureau of Investigation that looks like the

biggest winner now that Robert Livingston has been replaced by Dennis
Hastert as
odds-on favorite to be Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Livingston supported the industry's version of SAFE, the crypto decontrol
bill
that died in Congress last session.  In contrast, J. Dennis Hastert (R-IL)
has
shown strong solidarity with the FBI on encryption issues as a member of the

House Commerce Committee.  Indeed, Hastert supported the Oxley-Manton
Amendment
that would have turned the SAFE Act of 1997 (H. R. 695) into a mandate for
domestic regulation of encryption.  And when Oxley-Manton was rejected by
the
Committee in favor of the Markey-White Amendment, Hastert voted against the
SAFE Act.

..

Thread