1998-12-29 - Re: SNET: United Nations plans SWAT team training to “control” citizens in Y2K crash

Header Data

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 2b02822667913c9c5d9d9792faea7a24a82843e380ce54645c26db1b76cf5dfa
Message ID: <36889DC9.FF8245BE@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Reply To: <199812290802.AAA28246@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-29 09:39:31 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:39:31 +0800

Raw message

From: Mok-Kong Shen <mok-kong.shen@stud.uni-muenchen.de>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:39:31 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: SNET: United Nations plans SWAT team training to "control" citizens in Y2K crash

Vladimir Z. Nuri wrote:

> From: USCMike1@aol.com

> NEW YORK -- In a stark demonstration of the global scale of the Year 2000
> computer problem, representatives of 130 nations gathered at the United
> Nations Friday to hammer out plans for dealing with Y2K.
>
> The ideas included setting up national and international "SWAT teams" to
> handle crises caused by the computer glitch.
>
> The U.N. conference marked the first such gathering of Y2K coordinators
> from several nations, including many developing countries that lag far
> behind the United States in remediation efforts.
>
> Y2K refers to a programming glitch that will cause some computers, softwar=
> programs and microprocessors to interpret the abbreviated date 00 as 1900
> rather than 2000. The result could be incorrect data processing and
> equipment malfunctions.

Is is (approximately) known how many percent of the owners of computer
systems have ever tried with some test cases to find out whether
their hardware/software could be susceptible to the Y2K problem?
I guess such tests would deliver some confidence intervals of
whether the problem could actually arise at 2000.

M. K. Shen

Thread