1998-12-30 - [EFGA] DragonCon.net Receives Subpoena for User Records

Header Data

From: “Robert A. Costner” <pooh@efga.org>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: 3705a04327f97bc29e2de62a7145f41e1cb13e95b248ccb01b252e6e475a862f
Message ID: <3.0.3.32.19981229212943.041d9718@rboc.net>
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:54:57 +0800

Raw message

From: "Robert A. Costner" <pooh@efga.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 10:54:57 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: [EFGA] DragonCon.net Receives Subpoena for User Records

Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 17:02:48 -0500
To: announce@efga.org
From: "Robert A. Costner" <pooh@efga.org>
Sender: owner-announce@efga.org

    DRAGONCON.NET RECEIVES SUBPOENA FOR USER RECORDS

This week DragonCon.net, a free email service, received a Subpoena
requesting information on one of its users including

    the true and correct legal name, IP addresses, E-mail addresses,
    E-mail headers and postal address

The matter has been referred to attorneys to see if the Subpoena is valid
and should be complied with.  DragonCon.net places a high value on the
privacy of it's users and will not release user info based on a casual
request.

http://www.dragoncon.net is a privacy friendly email forwarding and
newsgroup posting service using technology developed by Electronic
Frontiers Georgia (EFGA) <http://www.efga.org>.  EFGA is known for it's
leadership in the worldwide anonymous remailer community, the Georgia
Cracker remailer <http://anon.efga.org>, and as the original plaintiff in
the internet anonymity case ACLU vs. Miller.  DragonCon.net has been a way
to extend a form of privacy and anonymity to those who wish for some
anonymity in communications without the burden of encryption imposed by the
Cypherpunk remailer system.

Dragon*Con <http://www.dragoncon.org> is a science fiction and fantasy
convention held each year in Atlanta, Georgia.  DragonCon.net is a free
email service for members of Dragon*Con which also allows anyone else to
have an email account.  DragonCon.net, the email service, is operated
independently of Dragon*Con by a third party company.  Says Chairman Ed
Kramer of Dragon*Con, "Dragoncon.net is run by an independent company; we
have no control over their policies.  However, we certainly respect the
privacy of our members and support the pro-privacy polices of the internet
service towards their users.  We've been told that attorneys are reviewing
irregularities in the subpoena, and the internet service may be forced to
not honor it."

The matter is a civil action against a group of email-name defendants, none
of which appear to be the Dragoncon.net user.  Dragoncon.net is not a party
in the suit.  We do not yet know the nature of the civil action.  More
information will be announced in a few days.

For more information contact

  Robert A. Costner
  pooh@efga.org
  770 402-3580

*
To join or be removed from this list, send a message to majordomo@efga.org
with
the message body of SUBSCRIBE announce or UNSUBSCRIBE announce

Thread