1998-12-22 - politically correct bomb graffiti

Header Data

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 427c1eed03eb49615c580545f115c3cd464699c62c74572086ffca1ef8aeb06a
Message ID: <199812221723.SAA13248@replay.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:53:50 +0800

Raw message

From: Anonymous <nobody@replay.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 01:53:50 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: politically correct bomb graffiti

..way too amusing..

 Pentagon Decries U.S. Bomb Graffiti
Tuesday, December 22, 1998; 1:24 a.m. EST

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Department officials said Monday they were
distressed about ``thoughtless graffiti'' referring to the Islamic holy
month of Ramadan on a Navy bomb being prepared for dropping on Iraq.

The Associated Press last Saturday transmitted a photograph of a
2,000-pound laser-guided bomb on the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise in the
Persian Gulf waiting to be loaded on F-14 and F-18 jet fighters.

The bomb bore several inscriptions, including one that said, ``Here's a
Ramadan present from Chad Rickenberg.''

``Department of Defense officials were distressed to learn of thoughtless
graffiti mentioning the holy month of Ramadan written on a piece of U.S.
ordnance during Operation Desert Fox'' in Iraq, chief Pentagon spokesman
Kenneth Bacon said in a statement.

``Religious intolerance is an anathema to Secretary of Defense William S.
Cohen and to all Americans who cherish the right to worship freely,'' he
added. ``The United States deeply respects Islam. We are grateful for our
good relations with Arab and Islamic peoples, and we appreciate the
important contributions of Muslim-Americans to the U.S. military and to our
nation as a whole.

``I know our people in uniform respect and appreciate religious practices
different from their own. This incident is a rare exception that does not
reflect American policy or values.''

Thread