1998-12-22 - Re: politically correct bomb graffiti

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: Anonymous <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4e6e9202420522b3fec99472e94ac452c4262d7d083418bdbf4be84c1d110138
Message ID: <199812222020.MAA26845@smtp.well.com>
Reply To: <199812221723.SAA13248@replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-22 20:53:11 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:53:11 +0800

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 1998 04:53:11 +0800
To: Anonymous <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: politically correct bomb graffiti

Guess folks in WWII shouldn't have been calling the enemy "Krauts."

Now it's okay to slaughter Iraqis -- but we can't make fun of them.

These are odd times.

-Declan

At 06:23 PM 12-22-98 +0100, Anonymous wrote:
>..way too amusing..
>

> Pentagon Decries U.S. Bomb Graffiti
>Tuesday, December 22, 1998; 1:24 a.m. EST
>
>WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Department officials said Monday they were
>distressed about ``thoughtless graffiti'' referring to the Islamic holy
>month of Ramadan on a Navy bomb being prepared for dropping on Iraq.
>
>The Associated Press last Saturday transmitted a photograph of a
>2,000-pound laser-guided bomb on the aircraft carrier USS Enterprise in the
>Persian Gulf waiting to be loaded on F-14 and F-18 jet fighters.
>
>The bomb bore several inscriptions, including one that said, ``Here's a
>Ramadan present from Chad Rickenberg.''
>
>``Department of Defense officials were distressed to learn of thoughtless
>graffiti mentioning the holy month of Ramadan written on a piece of U.S.
>ordnance during Operation Desert Fox'' in Iraq, chief Pentagon spokesman
>Kenneth Bacon said in a statement.
>
>``Religious intolerance is an anathema to Secretary of Defense William S.
>Cohen and to all Americans who cherish the right to worship freely,'' he
>added. ``The United States deeply respects Islam. We are grateful for our
>good relations with Arab and Islamic peoples, and we appreciate the
>important contributions of Muslim-Americans to the U.S. military and to our
>nation as a whole.
>
>``I know our people in uniform respect and appreciate religious practices
>different from their own. This incident is a rare exception that does not
>reflect American policy or values.''

Thread