1998-12-17 - Re: I must admit. . .

Header Data

From: Jukka E Isosaari <jei@zor.hut.fi>
To: “Joel O’Connor” <ogrenivek@yahoo.com>
Message Hash: 788a3135391be1a30085c8d9400eb1d7d6cdcd896dc488afa4d53a79bcb99796
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.96.981217220848.32327E-100000@zor.hut.fi>
Reply To: <19981216144244.7920.rocketmail@send101.yahoomail.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-17 21:04:14 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 05:04:14 +0800

Raw message

From: Jukka E Isosaari <jei@zor.hut.fi>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 05:04:14 +0800
To: "Joel O'Connor" <ogrenivek@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: I must admit. . .

On Wed, 16 Dec 1998, Joel O'Connor wrote:

> Cypherpunks write code?  Make people use it. . .
>

> ---mib <mib@io.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 12:25:50PM -0800, you wrote:
> > > I wonder sometimes whether or not there is hope for us to ever stop
> > > this tyrrany.  I've seen a bunch of us diss the strike saying it was
> > > an outlandish and foolish idea, but I hadn't seen anyone of you come
> > > up with something better.
> >
> > Cypherpunks write code?

Whoops. Wrong subject. You were talking about the strike against
the Wassenaar agreement.

Not the Iraqis... :) Duh, duh! Too much TV. I am sorry. :)

Well, here's my idea on how to fight the Wassenaar agreement:

I think the best method to fight the WA is with education.
Educate people. Help them use PGP with their applications.

Help integrate PGP into e-mail programs, make it's use easy.

I for one would like sendmail integrated with PGP. For example:
sendmail asks receiving server if it has PGP, and please give
your public key, I have mail for you.. Then send the e-mail
encrypted, while the receiving sendmail decrypts it and delivers
forwards. This is not very effective, but it would help some.

Also, you could have your sendmail enforce the PGP option that
no unsecure servers or forwardings would be considered acceptable,
and the e-mail should be returned if such were encountered.

This would eliminate at least *some* of the e-mail spooks there.
I realize it is no not very good, but it is better than nothing
at all.

++ J

Thread