1998-12-14 - RE: Anyone Striking?

Header Data

From: “Gomes, Carlos” <GomesC@netsolve.net>
To: James Glave <james@wired.com>
Message Hash: a92891e0e90dd4284ba72476934a24a7bdf8647700e68935506f0cadbb0d57dc
Message ID: <59816DD7DAE9D11184E400104B66A35385310A@cobra.netsolve.net>
Raw Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:08:25 +0800

Raw message

From: "Gomes, Carlos" <GomesC@netsolve.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 04:08:25 +0800
To: James Glave <james@wired.com>
Subject: RE: Anyone Striking?

My original statement is a bit off.  I think the past weekend in Dallas is
still with in spirit....

I don't think Jim nor Perry openly advocated the strike so let me chop that
statement.  And as for myself, I was hoping to see something a bit more
active in regards to a protest and I was hoping that the call to strike
would be a start.  The call appears to have been slightly still born if not
horribly premature.

There were several ideas floating around: a) detach from the net and from
work b) create a signed letter of disapproval published to appropriate orgs
c) _short_ loosely organized burst of DoS against select online targets from
widely distributed sources.

All valid forms of protests (when properly organized and executed) all with
varying forms of impact and visibility.  For the record, I think option c)
could be a valid and effective form of active protest.  It is a form which
has not been used in support of the cpunks' agenda (or many agenda's for
that matter) to date and one that merits a review.

On to the next online skirmish...

regards,
C.G.

--
DISCLAIMER: The above views are mine and not of my employer or coworkers.  I
do not speak as a representative of their views.  Only of my own.

[deletia]

Thread