1998-12-21 - Re: Friedman (The Younger) Sings…

Header Data

From: Steve Mynott <steve@tightrope.demon.co.uk>
To: Robert Hettinga <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: ae0d794ddabe14e99335ef7b39b7cdea2398657d7e73c147dc0313abff8d0b0a
Message ID: <19981221214313.A21655@tightrope.demon.co.uk>
Reply To: <v04020a0eb2a43f1b22a0@[139.167.130.249]>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-21 22:30:48 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 06:30:48 +0800

Raw message

From: Steve Mynott <steve@tightrope.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 06:30:48 +0800
To: Robert Hettinga <cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: Re: Friedman (The Younger) Sings...

On Mon, Dec 21, 1998 at 03:41:53PM -0500, Robert Hettinga wrote:

> Given the remarkable cypherpunk-like sound of Dr. Friedman, the real question
> here is, who came first, Freidman-egg, or cypherpunk-chickens?  The first
> edition of "The Machinery of Freedom" came out in the early 1980's, (83?,
> though somewhat-recently revised), yet Freidman leans heavily on post-mid-80's
> Chaum in his talk to Cato, and uses heretofore cypherpunk neology, like
> "anonymous remailers", "reputation capital", and the like. Not to mention
> actual citation of the list itself in reference to Brin's book about the
> hopelessness of all privacy.

"The Machinery of Freedom" far from being published in the early '80s
was published in 1971 and is based on writings from the late '60s.

It is very much aimed at 60s alternative types a with relaxed writing
style, anti-drug law and pro freedom line.

This book when I read it through FCS in the early '80s convinced me I was a
libertarian.  I didn't come across cypherpunk theory until much
later and, when I did, I saw it obviously followed libertarianism.

I am sure Friedman was well aware on how technological advances could
weaken the state and to accuse him of "copying" is facile.

--
1024/D9C69DF9 steve mynott steve@tightrope.demon.co.uk http://www.pineal.com/

one page principle:
    a specification that will not fit on one page of 8.5x11 inch
    paper cannot be understood.
        -- mark ardis

Thread