1998-12-06 - Commerce Hacked?

Header Data

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
To: cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Message Hash: b8bc67847a414b322e75f133bd9240311faf39f56910a253b91a87632ad2fcec
Message ID: <199812061208.HAA29686@camel7.mindspring.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 20:28:35 +0800

Raw message

From: John Young <jya@pipeline.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 20:28:35 +0800
To: cypherpunks@EINSTEIN.ssz.com
Subject: Commerce Hacked?

Since some time after the Department of Commerce issued the
recent press release on Wassenaar the site (www.doc.gov) has not
been accessible, at least not from here.

The press release section of the International Trade
Administration (www.ita.doc.gov), David Aaron's org, for a while
had a notice that updating was being done and the site would
be fixed shortly. Then the ITA site  disappeared, along with the
main DoC site.

We spoke with a public affairs rep at DoC before this happened
and to inquire when the department would issue detailed information
to flesh out the press release. I said there was a furor over Aaron's
spin, and much skepticism of its validity. She said she would check
and call back but hasn't.

Wonder if the site was hacked, from the outside or inside.

Thread