1998-12-23 - Re: Jury Duty

Header Data

From: Petro <petro@playboy.com>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: dd5f17adf18ba0af01cf21f3c744b7f0540ce7bcb7150363d13d14b4a6257104
Message ID: <v04011710b2a6e74fb888@[207.138.127.230]>
Reply To: <199812230730.IAA17418@replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1998-12-23 20:07:34 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:07:34 +0800

Raw message

From: Petro <petro@playboy.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:07:34 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Re: Jury Duty

At 2:30 AM -0500 12/23/98, Anonymous wrote:
>In 22 years of being qualified, I am facing my first jury duty summons as
>a regular employee and see no way out except to report. The old
>self-employment, financial burden exemption no longer applies.
>
>Is there a good web site where I can find other legal means to recuse
>myself (I live in AZ), or if I do
>decide to report and get on a trial, a web site on my rights to vote my
>conscious, aka jury nullification?
>
>The other option is to just lie, it says the penalty is that of perjury
>and it seems we shall
>soon have case law that perjury is no longer a crime.
>
>Not a facetious post, I have seen posts here on this before, but never
>really paid attention because it didn't affect me.

	Don't bother, take a book (say Crime & Punishment, or John Lott's
"More Guns, Less Crime, anything hard bound should do). State your opnions
on capital punishment, and on "victimless crime" & drug crimes. Mention
Jury Nullification, and you should be back on the street in an hour.

	Or, you can do your civic duty, get on the jury and do your best to
do what is right.

	I'd suggest the latter.
--
"To sum up: The entire structure of antitrust statutes in this country is a
jumble of economic irrationality and ignorance. It is a product: (a) of a

Petro::E-Commerce Adminstrator::Playboy Ent. Inc.::petro@playboy.com

Thread