1998-12-29 - OpenBSD vs FreeBSD

Header Data

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Message Hash: de71fe1fa7c9166b92ae821193702ec4ae24b8e4ba22c07e60e798663ba3d7ce
Message ID: <v04020a9fb2aece2a9ce1@[139.167.130.246]>
Raw Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 03:06:16 +0800

Raw message

From: Robert Hettinga <rah@shipwright.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 03:06:16 +0800
To: cypherpunks@cyberpass.net
Subject: OpenBSD vs FreeBSD

--- begin forwarded text

To: 0xdeadbeef@substance.abuse.blackdown.org
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 11:47:08 -0500
From: glen mccready <glen@qnx.com>

Forwarded-by: Nev Dull <nev@bostic.com>
Forwarded-by: Satya Palani <satya@gho.st>

Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 20:44:53 -0500 (EST)
From: Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
Subject: Re: OpenBSD vs FreeBSD

On 5 Dec 1998, Julian Assange wrote:

>> 	Do you really expect people here, on this list to say
>> 	"Use OpenBSD" or "Use Linux" or etc?
>
> `Use NetBSD'

Use a toaster oven.  Toaster ovens have excellent network security
characteristics.  For example, they are not susceptible to any IMAP-based
buffer overflow attacks; additionally, current toaster ovens are not known
to have any bugs in their TCP/IP stacks, nor have been vulnerable to any
in the recent past (according to CERT advisories, anyway).  Toaster ovens
require console access to perform administrative functions (such as
modification of temperature settings), but this will not impede deployment
in a number of environment.

Toaster ovens may be vulnerable to a remote denial of service attack
involving manipulation of power lines -- however, most operating systems
running on standard hardware are also vulnerable to this attack.

I have found that my toaster oven has served me well for a number of
years, and produces excellent grilled cheese sandwiches, which is far
better than my pentium running FreeBSD, largely because the cooling fan
on the pentium does too good a job.  Go figure.  Maybe if I get a pentium
pro?  Neither my FreeBSD box nor my toaster oven has suffered from a
security problem in a while.

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/

Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 21:44:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>

On Sun, 6 Dec 1998, Robert Watson wrote:

> Use a toaster oven.  Toaster ovens have excellent network security
> characteristics.  For example, they are not susceptible to any IMAP-based
> buffer overflow attacks; additionally, current toaster ovens are not known

A friend of mine points out that toaster ovens are susceptible to a buffer
overflow involving pieces of bread exceeding the safe bread limit in the
oven, which can result in a fire, or at the very least, a lot of burnt
bread.  As such, I am no longer planning to deploy toaster ovens as web
servers on our network.

Apologies for any misleading details concerning the reliability of toaster
ovens in hostile environments -- I hope no one has made purchasing
decisions based on this misinformation!

  Robert N Watson

PGP key fingerprint: 03 01 DD 8E 15 67 48 73  25 6D 10 FC EC 68 C1 1C

Carnegie Mellon University            http://www.cmu.edu/
TIS Labs at Network Associates, Inc.  http://www.tis.com/
SafePort Network Services             http://www.safeport.com/

--- end forwarded text

Robert A. Hettinga <mailto: rah@philodox.com>
Philodox Financial Technology Evangelism <http://www.philodox.com/>
44 Farquhar Street, Boston, MA 02131 USA