1996-04-22 - Re: Bernstein ruling meets the virus law

Header Data

From: Bruce Marshall <brucem@wichita.fn.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6cec8942054410d757ee05d63a26aa1f5ab00e500214efa9f322351d50d091bf
Message ID: <Pine.BSI.3.91.960422084746.14906B-100000@wichita.fn.net>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.91.960420125016.6813A-100000@kirk.edmweb.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-04-22 17:55:56 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 01:55:56 +0800

Raw message

From: Bruce Marshall <brucem@wichita.fn.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 01:55:56 +0800
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Bernstein ruling meets the virus law

On Sat, 20 Apr 1996, Steve Reid wrote:

> In Canada, there is a law that makes "unauthorized use of computing
> resources" illegal. That makes both hacking and malicious virus spreading
> illegal with one law, without making it illegal to share virus information
> and source code.

     Several other countries have very similiar laws.  However, I had
heard a somewhat unproven rumor that a U.S. state had actually made the
writing of programs with malicious purposes illegal.  Basically meaning
that if you write a virus you have committed a crime.  Like I said
though, this was just a statement in a message so I can't vouch for the
accuracy.

Bruce Marshall

Thread