1996-05-01 - Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: “Scruffies” vs. “Neats”)

Header Data

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
To: perry@piermont.com
Message Hash: d2762cc756e107fbb79ddb7cc442df018b29f0702032b99835d23a7a82d7471a
Message ID: <199605010528.AAA00506@proust.suba.com>
Reply To: <199605010033.UAA15101@jekyll.piermont.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-05-01 09:08:20 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 17:08:20 +0800

Raw message

From: Alex Strasheim <cp@proust.suba.com>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 17:08:20 +0800
To: perry@piermont.com
Subject: Re: Why I dislike Java. (was Re: "Scruffies" vs. "Neats")

> It is difficult. The way Java does this, with the protection relying
> solely on the correctness of the runtime (the interpreter isn't
> emasculated so flaws in the runtime can cause unexpected behavior) it
> is nearly impossible. Humans aren't good enough at designing systems
> this century.

One thing that I'm sort of fuzzy on is whether or not you feel that this
is a problem specific to this one group of products (java) or if it's a
problem with the general idea of grabbing and running applets
indiscriminently in a protective environment.

As some recent posts here have shown, when people start working with java
applets, subtle problems (like not being able to put your hands on enough
entropy) emerge.  It may turn out that after a year or two the list of
complaints will be long enough that a demand for a successor to java will
emerge.  I would have to think that after a bit of practical experience,
it will be possible to build a better java.

Right now, as near as I can tell, we have two major security complaints
with java's design.  The first is Perry's point (which I might be
munging), that there isn't enough redundancy in the security to protect us
if and when human error creeps in.  The second is that a rigorous formal
analysis of the language hasn't been performed, and that the language as
it is currently constituted doesn't lend itself to such an analysis.

Can these problems be solved, at least in theory, in a new language?
Are there other changes that ought to be considered?  Etc.

Thread