1996-09-11 - [RANT]Education: Was Re: TWA 800 - Serious thread.

Header Data

From: “William H. Geiger III” <whgiii@amaranth.com>
To: Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com>
Message Hash: 65c29ce9f8bf7990062e273b137741f60480e5c75bac03345e032c88c7485deb
Message ID: <199609111444.JAA13035@mailhub.amaranth.com>
Reply To: <32367F80.41C67EA6@systemics.com>
UTC Datetime: 1996-09-11 19:06:00 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 03:06:00 +0800

Raw message

From: "William H. Geiger III" <whgiii@amaranth.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 1996 03:06:00 +0800
To: Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com>
Subject: [RANT]Education: Was Re: TWA 800 - Serious thread.

In <32367F80.41C67EA6@systemics.com>, on 09/11/96 at 10:59 AM,
   Gary Howland <gary@systemics.com> said:

>Greg Broiles wrote:
>>
>> At 03:30 PM 9/9/96 -0700, Dale Thorn wrote:
>>
>> >If govt. protects its "sources and methods", however nefarious, to the
>> >extent that the public is never asked to assent to these methods (even
>> >though a few of us know about them anyway), then the public doesn't have
>> >to become overtly cynical about what's going on.
>>
>> But the public *is* asked to assent to those methods - your chance to vote
>> on them is known colloquially as "jury duty".

>Ah, but isn't "jury selection" the process of selecting those that don't
>know they are judging the law as well as the case?

The form of Government that our Founding Fathers created here in the US was based on
the principle that the citizens were educated, informed, God fearing people with
solid moral principles.

We no longer have such a society if we ever did.

Our citizens are for the most part uneducated, ill-informed, with the moral fiber
that back in 1776 would have found the whole lot of them in stocks in the town
square.

The two major cause of this have been public education & TV.

Now before I get flamed here let me explain my position. :)

Over the past 40-50 yrs. public education has been going down hill. To receive the
education that was once received from 12 yrs of school now requires 16 yrs. We are
graduating greater and greater numbers of students that do not have the basic skills
to survive in the workplace.

There is little or no instruction on government, law, or the Constitution in school.
The majority of citizens are ignorant of the law, of the Constitution (both State &
Federal), of their local government. Incase you doubt this go out and ask some of
your fellow citizens who is on their town counsel, county boards, state
representatives. Ask them how local judges are selected. Who are their local judges
and what are their positions on key political issues.

Now on moral fiber & God fearing:

Every society has recognize that there were some basic rules it's citizens had to
live by inorder for them to survive. Now there can be some debate over individual
rules or how they should be inforced but all societies have agreed that there were
rules that the group as a whole had to live by.

The three major ones:

Don't Kill
Don't Steal
Don't Lie

A majority of our current laws come from these 3 basic principles.

Unfortunately our children are not being taught this. They are not being taught this
by their parents, they are not being taught this by the schools, and the majority of
airtime on TV is teaching them just the opposite.

- --
William H. Geiger III  http://www.amaranth.com/~whgiii
Geiger Consulting    WebExplorer & Java Enhanced!!!
Merlin Beta Test Site - Warpserver SMP Test Site

Author of PGPMR2 - PGP Front End for MR/2 Ice

Look for MR/2 Tips & Rexx Scripts
Get Work Place Shell for Windows!!

Finger whgiii@amaranth.com for PGP Key and other info

MR/2 Tag->Get OS/2 - the best Windows tip around!

Thread