1997-06-04 - Hyper-Sensitive Traumatized Rescue Workers…gimme a break

Header Data

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Message Hash: be39e6068975f089514744ddf3bc90fac944c0e438320301810cf09e316ebbd7
Message ID: <v03102816afbb529cb52e@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <19970603165035.36961@bywater.songbird.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-04 17:38:42 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 01:38:42 +0800

Raw message

From: Tim May <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 01:38:42 +0800
To: cypherpunks@Algebra.COM
Subject: Hyper-Sensitive Traumatized Rescue Workers...gimme a break

At 10:15 PM -0700 6/3/97, Bill Frantz wrote:
>At 4:50 PM -0700 6/3/97, Kent Crispin wrote:
>>Contrast ["milita violence"] with the brilliance of the anarchist
>>Eward Abbey in "The Monkey Wrench Gang", where the anti-government
>>acts were calculated to call forth popular support.

I enjoyed "The Monkey Wrench Gang" immensely, but I'm not convinced Abbey
captured the popular sentiment very well. Blowing up the dam they planned
to hit would have doubtless produced the same maudlin images we see of OKC
victims.  Dead babies washed up in the debris along the Colorado River and
all. CNN would love it.

>This is an important point.  When you kill people, you make implacable
>enemies.  Consider the SF Bay area rescue team that is still trying to

^^^^^^^^^^^^
>learn how to live with the memory of the mangled bodies they found Oklahoma
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>City.  They hate the person(s) responsible for the bombing and they did not
>even have relatives killed there.

To cement my politically incorrect images, I think it clear that most of
these so-called "traumatized" teams are made more traumatized by all the
mental health care professionals and Marin County social workers _telling
them_ they should be traumatized! "Grief counseling" is a big business.

Surely what they saw at OKC, person for person, was not substantially
different from what they saw prying squashed bodies out of the freeway
collapse in Oakland? Or of what rescue workers have seen in refinery
explosions, mine collapses, dam busts (there goes that monkey wrench gang
again), floods, fires, and countless war experiences.

But it makes for a nice piece on CNN to interview the traumatized rescue
worker and ask him much longer his "grief disability" insurance will last.

I don't mean to "hurt their feelings" (as if any of them are reading the
Cypherpunks list!!!) but enough is enough. They shouldn't be in rescue work
if a building collapse is going to freak them out so much.

--Tim May