1997-06-10 - Re: Thoughtcrime (Re: My War)

Header Data

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Message Hash: d6a79a5a4ecec2be3c0ef1bb2a5f5435e525d16c1c4f9adce752c6fba36ade77
Message ID: <199706100252.VAA02513@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <3.0.2.32.19970609183534.0069ac1c@netcom13.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-06-10 03:02:48 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:02:48 +0800

Raw message

From: ichudov@Algebra.COM (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1997 11:02:48 +0800
To: shamrock@netcom.com (Lucky Green)
Subject: Re: Thoughtcrime   (Re: My War)

Lucky Green wrote:
> Let us assume that it is unethical to force children to participate  in the
> production of child pornography. (For the benefit of Kent and the more
> ignorant people on this list, I will state that I firmly believe this to be
> true, despite the fact that doing so should be irrelevant for the argument.)
>
> Furthermore, let us assume that there are a number of individuals who enjoy
> looking at hard core child pornography.
>
> The question then is: does going after the distributors provide a benefit
> to the children being (potentially) used for such pictures?

> The answer is clearly no. By limiting the distribution of an individual
> picture, you increase the total number of pictures required to satisfy
> market demand. That means more children will be required to meet demand.

How do you justify that "clearly"?

I think that your analysis is incorrect.

This is a supply and demand situation. It is very simple to show (as any
microeconomics textbook does) that a tax on the product reduces the amount
of product sold and produced.

Since a unit of product is probably one picture of a child, there are
less units produced if they are taxed.

In the case of child porn, all this persecution is a form of tax, although
not very quantifiable.

igor

> Thus, by going after the distributors, Se7en causes more children to be
> violated by child pornographers.
>
> The only question that remains is: how can he live with this?
>
> Logic != base emotions,
>
> --Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred.
>
>   Put a stake through the heart of DES! Join the quest at
>   http://www.frii.com/~rcv/deschall.htm

	- Igor.

Thread