1997-12-04 - Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

Header Data

From: Jim Burnes <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
To: James Love <love@cptech.org>
Message Hash: 250508423b3f431dfcad1a84cdf16ab88d9fa6680e66f38bb6153dfd0de3146a
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.971203175851.581C-100000@is-chief>
Reply To: <3485F5DD.459EB83C@cptech.org>
UTC Datetime: 1997-12-04 01:35:30 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:35:30 +0800

Raw message

From: Jim Burnes <jim.burnes@ssds.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 1997 09:35:30 +0800
To: James Love <love@cptech.org>
Subject: Re: Censorial leftists (Was: Interesting article)

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, James Love wrote:

> Declan McCullagh wrote:
> >
> > Jamie, if you're seriously confused about the differences between
> > left-wing and right-wing groups I can help educate you, perhaps with a few
> > rules of thumb. But I suspect that you really don't want a serious answer.
>
>     I didn't think the big government fetish answer was very good.  I
> don't want to put words in your mouth.  But if you think you can really
> explain what constitutes a leftist, in your view, I'm ready to read it.
>
>     Jamie

Man!  Talk about burning bandwidth on politics 101.  The problem
is that you're both stuck using Orwellian newspeak for political
classification.  If people only have a single dimension to
classify political beliefs then there can't be very many
beliefs.

Multidimensional political beliefs systems don't hash into the
one dimensional left/right axis very well.   The collision
rate is too high.

For a somewhat better map at least check out the Nolan chart.

http://www.self-gov.org/lp-quiz.shtml

enjoy

jim

Thread