1992-10-14 - re: Matching Text, Headders and Signatures with Crypto Hashes

Header Data

From: Tom.Jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Tom Jennings)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 13448cebdb0e3f6fa278cb853f0f0e9221952f53a09470ce78415ecc4fe7835a
Message ID: <2936.2ADBB282@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>
Raw Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 22:45:57 PDT

Raw message

From: Tom.Jennings@f111.n125.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Tom Jennings)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 92 22:45:57 PDT
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: re: Matching Text, Headders and Signatures with Crypto Hashes

 U> From: hugh@domingo.teracons.com (Hugh Daniel)

 U>   For example in NetNews I proposed changing the
 U> MessageId: headder such that part of the gobldyguk on the
 U> left side of the atsign was a crypto hash of the body of
 U> the message and some of the important sending host
 U> generated headders.   With this system of MessageId:'s
 U> anyone who corrupts a message (intentionaly or otherwise)
 U> creates a bogus message, as the next machine that gets the
 U> message can see that the message does not match it
 U> MessageId: line.

There's a FidoNet mailer (Dutchie) that uses MD4 to generate message
IDs in exactly this way... They did some cheat, to allow certain
filters (CR/LF vs LF, etc) to work.

 * Origin: World Power Systems / FidoNews / San Francisco CA (1:125/111)
--
Tom Jennings - via FidoNet node 1:125/555
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!kumr!fidogate!111!Tom.Jennings

Thread